- 1 box Duncan Hines® Red Velvet Cake Mix
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 can Duncan Hines® Creamy Home-Style Classic Vanilla Frosting
- Melt butter; set aside to cool. Place cake mix, egg, cooled butter and vanilla in large mixing bowl. Mix by hand until well blended and dough is formed.
- Form dough into a smooth 12-inch log on wax paper or parchment making sure it is even in thickness end to end. Wrap in wax paper; seal in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease baking sheets. Unwrap dough log and set on wax paper. Using a sharp knife, cut into 48 slices about 1/4- inch thick. Place on cool baking sheets about 2 inches apart.
- Bake, 1 sheet at a time, in center of oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until set. Cool 1 minute. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- Spread frosting on half the cookies. Top each frosted cookie with another cookie. Gently press together.
I used pink frosting to write initials and doodle designs- these were the ones for my merchandising team. The kitchen was pretty warm and the frosting decided to get all melty so things got ... interesting. But I highly recommend this recipe, box or not, its delicious!