Monday, April 9, 2012

BOOK CLUB: TINA FEY'S BOSSYPANTS.

In keeping with my 2012 resolution to read one book a month, the month of March was dedicated to Tina Fey's Bossypants. I had this book on my must read list for awhile so I was really excited to finally get to it! And it did not disappoint.


An excerpt:
So my unsolicited advice to women in the workplace is this. When faced with sexism or ageism or lookism or even really aggressive Buddhism, ask yourself the following question: "Is this person in between me and what I want to do?" If the answer is no, ignore it and move on. Your energy is better used doing your work, and outpacing people that way. Then, when you're in charge, don't hire the people who were jerky to you.
If the answer is yes, you have a more difficult road ahead of you. I suggest you model your strategy after the old Sesame Street film piece "Over! Under! Through!" (If you're under forty you might not remember this film. It taught the concepts of "over, "under," and "through" by filming toddlers crawling around in an abandoned construction site. They don't show it anymore because someone has since realized that's nuts.) If your boss is a jerk, try to find someone above or around your boss who is not a jerk. If you're lucky, your workplace will have a neutral proving ground—like the rifle range or the car sales total board or the SNL read-through. If so, focus on that.
Again, don't waste your energy trying to educate or change opinions. Go "Over! Under! Through!" and opinions will change organically when you're the boss. Or they won't. Who cares?
Do your thing and don't care if they like it
I loved it, and I hope you do too!

This month I am ready Kelly Cutrone's  Normal Gets you Nowhere. I must be really into the empowerment of women right now!

Click Here to see what other books have been read so far this year.

Xo-
Janae

No comments:

Post a Comment